George Mason University
- Writing in History Mostly for HIST 100, but useful for other courses.
- George Mason University Writing CenterIndividual tutoring and on-line help.
- How to Give an Academic Talk, by Mark Clark and Paul N. Edwards
- Turabian Style – Sample Footnotes and Bibliographic Entries (6th edition)
- William Faulkner, Nobel Prize Speech
- Plagiarism: What It is and How to Recognize and Avoid It (Indiana U.)
- Guide to Grammar and Style by Jack Lynch
- Reading, Writing, and Researching for History: A Guide for College Students by Patrick Rael
- Heather Cox Richardson, Richardson’s Rules of Order
- William Cronon et al., Learning Historical Research . Step-by-step instructions for finding a topic, taking notes, and other tasks.
- Macalester College, Write Well. Short videos explain writing challenges common across scholarly disciplines.
- UCLA Office of Instructional Development, Thesis Statements: History
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Writer’s Handbook. See especially advice on Clear, Concise Sentences and Transitional Words and Phrases.