In 2022, I listened to thirty-six audiobooks that covered history, broadly defined. Some of these I had skimmed earlier, but this was my first time reading them straight through. Once again, I am glad to see so many recent university-press titles being released in this format.
Publication details come from Google Books. Please let me know if you spot any errors, such as the date of the paperback in place of the original publication date.
For previous years, see History audiobooks, 2021 edition and its links.
1. Addams, Jane. Twenty Years at Hull-House: With Autobiographical Notes. Macmillan, 1910.
2. Arsenault, Kerri. Mill Town: Reckoning with What Remains. St. Martin’s Publishing Group, 2020.
3. Berman, Elizabeth Popp. Thinking Like an Economist: How Efficiency Replaced Equality in U.S. Public Policy. Princeton University Press, 2022.
4. Cannadine, David. Victorious Century: The United Kingdom, 1800-1906. Penguin, 2019.
5. Chavis, Charles L. Jr. The Silent Shore: The Lynching of Matthew Williams and the Politics of Racism in the Free State. JHU Press, 2022.
6. Conis, Elena. How to Sell a Poison: The Rise, Fall, and Toxic Return of DDT. PublicAffairs, 2022.
7. Cummings, Alex Sayf. Democracy of Sound: Music Piracy and the Remaking of American Copyright in the Twentieth Century. OUP USA, 2013.
8. Downs, Jim. Sick from Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction. Oxford University Press, 2012.
9. Ellsberg, Daniel. The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner. Bloomsbury Publishing USA, 2017.
10. Grandin, Greg. Kissinger’s Shadow: The Long Reach of America’s Most Controversial Statesman. Henry Holt and Company, 2015.
11. Haag, Pamela. The Gunning of America: Business and the Making of American Gun Culture. Basic Books, 2016.
12. Hannah-Jones, Nikole, and The New York Times Magazine. The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story. Random House Publishing Group, 2021.
13. Hill, Fiona, and Clifford G. Gaddy. Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin. Brookings Institution Press, 2015.
14. Kinzer, Stephen. The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War. 1st edition. New York: Times Books, 2013.
15. Lee, Wayne E., Anthony E. Carlson, David L. Preston, and David Silbey. The Other Face of Battle: America’s Forgotten Wars and the Experience of Combat. Oxford University Press, 2021.
16. Lewis, David Levering. The Improbable Wendell Willkie: The Businessman Who Saved the Republican Party and His Country, and Conceived a New World Order. Liveright Publishing, 2018.
17. Macdonald, Helen. H Is for Hawk. Grove/Atlantic, Inc., 2015.
18. Marohn. Charles L., Jr. Confessions of a Recovering Engineer: Transportation for a Strong Town. 1st edition. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley, 2021.
19. Masur, Kate. Until Justice Be Done: America’s First Civil Rights Movement, from the Revolution to Reconstruction. W. W. Norton & Company, 2021.
20. Mayor, Adrienne. Flying Snakes and Griffin Claws: And Other Classical Myths, Historical Oddities, and Scientific Curiosities. Princeton University Press, 2022.
21. Meredith, Martin. The Fate of Africa: A History of the Continent Since Independence. PublicAffairs, 2011.
22. Michel, Arthur Holland. Eyes In The Sky: The Secret Rise of Gorgon Stare and How It Will Watch Us All. HarperCollins, 2019.
23. Miles, Tiya. All That She Carried: The Journey of Ashley’s Sack, a Black Family Keepsake. Random House Publishing Group, 2021.
24. Nelson, Scott Reynolds. Oceans of Grain: How American Wheat Remade the World. Basic Books, 2022.
25. Niedermeyer, Edward. Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors. BenBella Books, 2019.
26. Nordell, Jessica. The End of Bias: A Beginning: The Science and Practice of Overcoming Unconscious Bias. 1st edition. New York: Metropolitan Books, 2021.
27. Peterson, Mark. The City-State of Boston: The Rise and Fall of an Atlantic Power, 1630–1865. Princeton University Press, 2020.
28. Rieppel, Lukas. Assembling the Dinosaur: Fossil Hunters, Tycoons, and the Making of a Spectacle. Harvard University Press, 2019.
29. Rothschild, Emma. An Infinite History: The Story of a Family in France over Three Centuries. Princeton University Press, 2021.
30. Sarotte, M. E. Not One Inch: America, Russia, and the Making of Post-Cold War Stalemate. Yale University Press, 2021.
31. Satia, Priya. Time’s Monster. Harvard University Press, 2020.
32. Slobodian, Quinn. Globalists: The End of Empire and the Birth of Neoliberalism. Harvard University Press, 2020.
33. Thompson, Erin L. Smashing Statues: The Rise and Fall of America’s Public Monuments. W. W. Norton & Company, 2022.
34. Vantoch, Victoria. The Jet Sex: Airline Stewardesses and the Making of an American Icon. University of Pennsylvania Press, 2013.
35. Williams, Mason B. City of Ambition: FDR, LaGuardia, and the Making of Modern New York. W. W. Norton & Company, 2013.
36. Winant, Gabriel. The Next Shift: The Fall of Industry and the Rise of Health Care in Rust Belt America. Harvard University Press, 2021.